Starting to play a sport may feel daunting, but don’t worry because everyone starts out as a beginner – even the professionals! If you’re a beginner, do not fret because pickleball is easy to learn with the help of these Best Pickleball Paddle 2019 as well as fun to do.
But before that, let us first talk about some facts regarding this sport:
Some History and Facts about Pickleball
- The sport originated in Bainbridge Island, Washington during 1965 when the families of former State Representative Joel Pritchard, Bill Bell, and Barney McCallum were bored on a summer day.
- Pickleball was thought to be named after the Pritchard’s family dog, Pickles. However, it was actually named after “pickle boat” which is a term for the last boat to return. Pickles the dog was named after the game.
- The sport is a combination of table tennis, badminton, and tennis.
- Pickleball is a versatile sport which can be played indoors and outdoors and be played with one player as singles or two players as doubles.
- The highest governing body for the sport is the International Federation of Pickleball.
Since pickleball originated from the combination of three racket games, it shares basic rules such as hitting the ball over the net; however, it also has its own unique set of rules. Let us dive into some basic rules:
- A pickleball game lasts until a team reaches 11 points. A team is considered winner if they win by 2 points.
- The side whose turn to serve may score a point.
- The play ends when one side breaks the rules or causes a fault.
These are some basic rules, so reading up on the rulebook and guidelines can help you get a better grasp on what to do and what to avoid. It is easier to learn rules while playing pickleball in action.
What to Wear and Use
It is basic knowledge to cover what attire you should wear while playing and what equipment is needed to play the sport.
Just like any sport, it is advised to wear comfortable clothing that allows you to freely move and does not hinder any movement. This varies from individual to individual, and the choices can include sweatpants, athletic shorts, tennis-style dresses, and skirts. What attire you wear is not a strict matter, but it would be best to wear whatever you feel comfortable while playing.
The essentials in playing pickleball are the paddle, the pickleball, and the net.
- Paddle – it can be made from different materials such as plastic, wood, or fiberglass. The size of the pickleball paddle is bigger than a ping pong or table tennis paddle but smaller than a tennis racket.
- Pickleball – the ball is a perforated polymer or plastic ball which is similar to a wiffle In comparison to a wiffle ball, the pickleball is heavier and bigger. The holes in a pickleball are round while the holes in a wiffle ball are oblong.
- Net – the net should measure 36 inches high at the sidelines and 34 inches high at the middle of the court.
Learning the game is one of the steps to familiarizing yourself and enjoying the game. It may seem overwhelming to play an unfamiliar sport, but once you get the hang of it, you’ll find it really fun and exciting.